Platelet rich plasma is a natural product created from your own body. These platelets are rich in growth factors that aid the healing process throughout the body. Platelet rich plasma has a history of medicinal use in orthopedics and dentistry, and now its benefits are being applied to other fields of medicine such as dermatology.
Platelets are the cells in the blood that help tissue to heal and grow new cells. Platelet rich plasma is created from your own blood, making it a safe and natural solution for improving your appearance. Platelet rich plasma is made by a small amount of blood being drawn and placed in a sterile tube that is spun in a centrifuge to separate the different components of the blood. Red and white blood cells are divided from the platelets and the plasma (the clear fluid). This plasma now contains a high concentration of platelets and is called platelet rich plasma.
When injected into the skin, platelet rich plasma can help to heal damaged tissue and encourage the growth of new healthy cells. Platelet rich plasma also stimulates the production of collagen. Collagen is essential in keeping skin firm and young looking. Increased collagen can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on your face.
Platelet rich plasma is a simple, effective, and safe way to improve your skin and your appearance. The procedure is quick, relatively painless and requires no post procedure care or time off from daily events. Because the platelet rich plasma is made from your own cells, there is no risk of allergy or rejection and you’ll get natural looking results.
Here’s what to expect from a typical PRP injection process:
- A healthcare professional will draw a sample of your blood. The amount of the sample depends on where the PRP will be injected.
- The blood is then placed into a centrifuge. This is a machine that spins around very quickly, causing the blood components to separate. This means the red blood cells and plasma are separated so that the platelet-rich plasma (PRP) can be extracted. The separation process takes about 15 minutes.
- A technologist takes the separated plasma and prepares it for injection into the affected area.
- A numbing cream will be applied to the treatment area prior to the PRP injection.
- Doctors will often use imaging, such as ultrasound, to pinpoint specific areas for injection, such as the tendon. Your doctor will then inject the PRP into the affected area with a micropen. This tool allows the PRP to be placed deep into the skin.
- Aftercare instructions are to be provided after the procedure is complete.
Results begin to show 3-4 weeks after the treatment session and continue to improve with time. Three treatment sessions are generally recommended, spaced 1-2 months apart, to achieve the best outcome.
Platelet rich plasma therapy can be combined with other treatments to best target a patient’s unique issues and achieve younger looking skin. In Phoenix, Dr. Holy will personally evaluate your skin issues and describe the treatments that would be most helpful for you. To learn more about the benefits of platelet rich plasma, contact THE CENTER for Advanced Dermatology today by calling 602-867-7546 or visiting website.