In Phoenix, Dr. Holy recommends a proactive approach to aging skin prevention. Let’s take a closer look at some skin aging prevention tips that will help maintain your skin in a healthy and young looking state.
Dealing properly with sun exposure helps prevent many skin aging problems ranging from wrinkles to skin cancer.
- For maximum skin aging prevention, avoid sun exposure on the skin during the hours that the sun is most intense.
- Wear a hat, protective clothing and sun ray blocking glasses to guard against exposure, especially during peak hours.
- Use appropriate sunscreen offering UVA and UVB protection (broad spectrum protection). Sun Protection Factor (SPF) should be greater than 15 and applied at least 20 minutes before the skin is exposed to the sun; sunscreen should be reapplied after swimming or heavy sweating.
- Use antioxidant topical products (usually include ingredients such as vitamins A, C, E, selenium, coenzyme Q10 and alpha-lipoic acid) to protect the skin from sun damage and premature aging; antioxidants neutralize free radicals which will cause damage to skin cells.
- Avoid using tanning beds.
- Avoid sunburns.
Diet and Health:
- Adequate fluid intake (6 to 8 glasses of water per day) is essential for hydrating skin, flushing out toxins from the body and for aging prevention.
- A diet with plenty of whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, use of healthy oils such as olive oil or flax seed oil and reduction of saturated fats helps protect the skin.
- Exercising regularly helps promote capillary functioning, brings oxygen to the skin which is important for healthy skin and flushes out body toxins.
- Avoid stress.
- Avoid large weight fluctuations.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Quitting smoking is effective in skin aging prevention.
- Not smoking prevents the formation of skin wrinkles, yellowing of the skin, certain types of skin cancer and the breakdown of collagen in the skin.
Dry Skin and Itching:
- Clean the skin, exfoliate the skin surface gently to remove dead skin cells and moisturize the skin regularly especially in cold and dry climates to prevent dry skin.
- Avoid the use of fabric preservatives, harsh detergents, bleaches and harsh soaps in order to prevent allergic type itching.
The skin you have now is the only skin you’ll ever get. Keeping it at its best starts with how you treat it every day. With proper skin care to pamper skin from the outside and with a good diet to nourish from within, healthy skin is achievable with simple steps. Should you ever notice any problems, get medical attention to resolve them quickly and avoid putting your skin at risk. If you have concerns about aging skin or would like more information about aging skin prevention, contact Center for Advanced Dermatology at 602-867-7546 or mddermsolutions.com.