Getting a little sunshine is important for helping our bodies generate Vitamin D, an important supplement for a healthy body. Like anything, though, too much sun can cause health issues, from sunburns to skin cancer. This is why sunscreen is so important! Sunscreen helps in the following crucial ways:
- It Protects Your Skin from Ultraviolet Rays: Ultraviolet (UV) rays are invisible rays that are part of the energy that comes from the sun. The depletion of the ozone layer has increased our risk of sun damage from harmful UV rays. UV rays can burn the skin if not properly protected from the sun.
- It Lowers Your Skin Cancer Risk: Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States and is easily preventable with the proper use of sunscreen, but many people fall victim to this disease every year.
- It Prevents Premature Aging of the Skin: Sun damage to our skin, as a result of repeated exposure, accelerates the skin’s aging process by reducing the skin’s moisture levels and the integrity of the individual cells. Aged skin is characterized by a thick, leathery look; discoloration; and a breakdown of collagen which contributes to lines, sagging and wrinkles.
- It Helps Maintain an Even Skin Tone: Sunscreen helps prevent discoloration and dark spots from sun damage, helping you maintain a smoother and more even skin tone.
- It Protects Your Skin on a Cellular Level: Sun damage weakens your skin. Repeated sun exposure without the use of sunscreen not only causes changes in the way our skin looks, but actually damages the skin on a cellular level.
For proper sun protection, it’s important to choose the right sunscreen for your skin, with the appropriate SPF, and to use it correctly. To learn more about sun safety or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Holy in Phoenix, contact THE CENTER for Advanced Dermatology at 602-867-7546 or website today.